GALFA initiated its Small Grants Program in 2017, and has granted 9 x $500 grants from July 2017 to January 2018. These grants are continuing in 2019.
Due to the large amount of requests recieved in the first part of 2018 for small grants (due to increased activity due to Sydney Mardi Gras and Midsumma and other events) we have decided to change the way we roll out our small grants.
We will now run 4 small grant rounds each calendar year.
- The first round closing date: March 10 2019.
- Second round – June 9, 2019.
- Third Round – September 8, 2019.
- Fourth Round – December 6, 2019.
We will endeavour to process and access applications within 7 days of each round.
Application will only be considered at the end of each grant round. Applications may be considered in between rounds in exceptional circumstances – please indicate any urgency or deadlines in your application.
The Gay and Lesbian Foundation of Australia (GALFA) raises and distributes funds for activities that benefit lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgender and intersex (LGBTIQ) people, and allied communities, in Australia. GALFA is Australia’s peak LGBTIQ philanthropic organisation.
This small grants program aims to support LGBTIQ individuals and or organisations and communities who would otherwise be limited by the constraints of other funding programs. It is intended directly or indirectly to assist, involve and benefit LGBTIQ members and promote positive social outcomes and mental health in the community.
Issues of LGBTIQ discrimination, disadvantage and need are little-addressed by other philanthropic organisations. With individual contributions and co-funding from like-minded organisations, GALFA supports underfunded and important LGBTIQ projects that make a difference in our community.
We welcome applications that are particularly creative and innovative, and those that are put forward by individuals and organisations that have not received small grant funding in the previous 2 years.
We also look for projects that work as partnerships between individuals and organisations.
For selected expressions of interest for the GALFA Small Grant Round (up to $500) we invite a simple two-page application. All applications are assessed by a panel that includes an independent external specialist, to ensure we fund the best proposals.
Successful applicants enter an agreement with GALFA to deliver their project.
Please note, funds are not available for for-profit organisations. GALFA only funds projects benefiting LGBTIQ people in Australia.
Final Report: After the completion of the project, each grantee must complete a 1-page end-of-project summary and expense report within 30 days of the completion of the project.
We encourage you to document your project and submit photographs that we can utilise in future promotional material. Please ensure that you have permission from all participants who appear in photographs or videos in order for them to be published.
GALFA will invest in projects that benefit either LGBTIQ individuals or strengthen LGBTIQ organisational capacity:
- Individuals – at least one of the following intended outcomes LGBTIQ community members will:
- be more connected to each other and to their community
- have improved skills and knowledge
- have enhanced wellbeing and resilience
- participate more fully in their community
- Organisational capacity – at least one of the following intended outcomes LGBTIQ organisation will:
- be better able to recruit and retain volunteers and members
- work better with the community and/or other organisations
- improve the skills and knowledge of volunteers/members
- develop resources it needs to undertake its work.
The planned activity must involve and benefit LGBTIQ members and promote positive social outcomes in our community.
Who Can Apply
Eligible applicants must meet the following criteria:
- Must be a permanent resident or community group, operating in Australia.
- Applicants need only be a group of people with a common interest.
- It is preferred that individuals / groups apply through an Auspice organisation, but it is not a necessary requirement.
Examples include but are not limited to funds towards:
- Hall rental for meetings or social events
- Advertising and marketing costs for events
- Speaker’s fees
- Artists fees
- Travel and accommodation costs to attend conferences
- Website maintenance costs
- Website hosting fees
- Catering costs for community events
Things we will consider:
- Merit and meaningful skills development, leadership development or social outcomes for the individual.
- Will the project have adequate resources and support and is well planned? Does the budget add up and has the applicant made a contribution or sourced money or in-kind support from other organisations or people?
- Will the project encourage future projects in the community?
- Merit and meaningful skills development, community development and social outcomes.
- Do the community members and/or facilitators have cultural development skills appropriate to the project?
- Will the project have adequate resources and support and is well planned?
- Is the community involved in the planning and management of the project and will they be involved as participants when the project begins? Will the project encourage future projects and or events in the community?
- If a referee can be contacted in support of the individual or the project, the referees comments will be considered.
The following are ineligible for funding:
- Projects that do not benefit the LGBTIQ community
- Projects that have commenced or been completed.
- Costs of organising and running competitions, prizes, awards, or fundraising events (for example, judges expenses, administration and infrastructure costs).
- Projects managed by grantees who have not acquitted previous grants from GALFA.
- Grantees that received a GALFA small grant in the previous 2 years.
- Limited and Propriety Limited companies which are for-profit organisations.
How to Apply
Please apply using the online GALFA small grants application form.
Any questions, please contact GALFA via email email@example.com.
Successful grantees – Acquittal Form
If you have been successful in receiving funds under the Small Grants Program, we ask that you acquit the grant using the online GALFA small grants acquittal form.
Any questions in the acquittal process, please contact GALFA via email firstname.lastname@example.org.